Reducing climate change impacts is one of the most critical challenges facing all industries and societies. Although we operate in a low-carbon industry, minimising our environmental footprint and raising fact-based climate awareness are important to us.
Our focus areas and targets
We reduce emissions following our science-based reduction targets
- During 2022, Sanoma updated its climate targets and aligned them with the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), setting emission reduction targets aligned with the Paris Agreement.
- Our target is to reduce Scope 1 and 2 own operations GHG emissions 4.2% annually until 2030 from a 2021 base year. In 2021, Sanoma already reduced its own operations’ (Scope 1 & 2) emissions to half from 2020.
- We also aim to reduce Scope 3 value chain GHG emissions 4.2% annually until 2030 from a 2021 base year (38% in total) in categories 1, 3, 4, and 9, representing 3/4 of all our Scope 3 emissions.
By end of 2030, we will be carbon neutral
- In addition to the Science Based emission reduction targets, Sanoma aims to be carbon neutral in all operations in 2030. This means that in 2030 Sanoma’s aim is to take responsibility of the emissions that cannot be avoided or reduced by compensating.
We strive to minimise our environmental impacts across the supply chain
- We also aim to transition to carbon neutral electricity by the end of 2023 and carbon neutral energy (heating, cooling and reserve power) by 2030. Both energy-related target support us in reaching our emission reduction target.
- To reduce GHG emissions, we cooperate with suppliers to reduce our common climate and environmental footprint.
- Safeguarding biodiversity protects wildlife populations and supports adaptation to climate change. By end of 2023, our aim is that all wood fibre in paper qualities used by Sanoma originates from sustainable certified sources.
- Sanoma owns two printing plants in Finland. Our printing facilities use the ISO 14001 environmental management system. We monitor the use of paper and minimise the use of printing plates, ink, wetting water additive and water, as well as energy use and greenhouse gas emissions. For example, electricity used is 100% carbon neutral and all waste is reused or recycled.
We increase our fact-based climate and environmental awareness
- Through fact-based media and learning content we are able to support society at large to understand climate change and the need and possibilities to reduce CO2 emissions. For example, Helsingin Sanomat has launched HS Ympäristö, a team of journalists focusing on climate and environmental journalism.
- To minimise our environmental impacts, we believe we need to continuously develop our knowledge capital. Currently we are developing training for all employees to raise climate and environmental awareness.
Our Sustainability strategy targets and KPI´s guide our action - learn about our results
- To learn more about our targets and results together with our action, see our Sustainability report.