Sanoma collects information about how users use our services by using cookies and other similar technologies, such as the browser's local data storage, application identifiers or device identifiers.
Cookies are small text files that the browser saves in the user's terminal. Cookies contain an anonymous identifier, which can used to recognize individual browsers visiting our websites.. Cookies do not move around by themselves in the internet; they are transferred to the user's browser from the server providing the website visited by the user. Only the server which sent the cookie can later read or use the same cookie. Cookies or other similar technologies do not harm the user's terminal or files, nor can they be used to run programs or spread malware.
The purpose of cookies and other similar technologies is to enable analyses and development of our services to better respond to user needs. The use of these online technologies can enable a more seamless user experience – for example users do not need to enter their username, password or personal choices every time they change websites, as cookies can help the websites remember these.
We can use the information about the use of our website to deliver targeted advertisements or content for a specific browser user. We may create target group segments based on the websites specific browsers have visited during a specific time period. As a result, we can present advertising or content which these target group segments may be interested in. For example, a browser may often visit an ice-hockey site and, therefore be classified into a segment group interested in "sports". We may use the help of our partners in creating target groups or segments, in which case we use contractual measures to ensure that the partners only use the information processed in the name of Sanoma, and will not utilise the data for their own purposes, or disclose the information to any third parties. In some cases, we may use information collected from other, non-Sanoma websites when creating segments or targeted advertisements.
Users cannot be personally identified merely by using cookies or other technologies, nor can our website know the user's email address, unless the user has entered it. Information collected using cookies and other similar technologies may be combined to other information obtained from the user through other contexts in accordance with details provided in the service specific data file registers, and in accordance with applicable data protection laws. If the user has created a Sanoma Account we may enrich the account data with the observed data collected about online use of our services. For example if user brings product purchase and / or subscriptions to be managed on the account we can target advertisements based on the subscription history
Examples of the categories of cookies we may collect and the purposes they are used for are presented in more detail in the table below.
|Types of cookies||Purpose of use||Examples|
These enable website functions, such as login/authentication, shopping carts and language settings.
|Analytical cookies for product development||These enable developing the features and user experience of our websites and applications, and statistical reporting to support business decisions.||
|Advertisement Reporting||These enable reporting to advertisers on how often a specific advertisement has been seen or whether or not the user has clicked on the advertisement.||
|Targeted digital advertising||Enable provision of targeted advertisements either based on the use of Sanoma websites, or on the use of third-party websites.||
2. Other Identifiers
Mobile applications contain a unique identifier which is used to measure and target advertisements provided through the application. Using the identifier, it is also possible to determine how and how often the application is used for product development purposes. The identifier is used in similar ways as a cookie on browsers.
Different mobile device operating systems provide different device identifiers for different application publishers. As a result, advertisers cannot target advertisements based on the applications of different publishers used on the same device. However, Sanoma can use a device-specific identifier to target advertisements based on applications published by Sanoma on a single device.
3. How can I influence my online privacy?
- Creating a new cookie profile: Users can clear their cookie history from their browser settings. By regularly clearing cookies from the browser, users can change the identifier on the basis of which a specific online user profile is generated. Clearing cookies will not complete prevent information from being collected; however it does resets the user’s online profile based on new cookies.
- Sanoma Account targeting preferences: The user may deny the use of Sanoma Account data to targeting of marketing and digital advertisements.Targeting preferences can be managed in the settings of Sanoma Account.
- .Targeting based on use of Sanoma's applications: Users can opt-out from data collected of the use of the application for the purposes of delivering targeted advertisements from the settings of the Sanoma applications. This will prevent the device's individual identifier from being sent and any information about the use of the application from being used for targeted advertisements
- Third party advertising: Advertisers and advertising networks target advertisements on the basis of behavioural data collected from first-party websites, such as Sanoma. Users can prevent targeting of advertising based on of third-party online behavioural data in full or on a company-specific basis through the Your Online Choices site.