- We are committed to protect the privacy of our users. Your trust is important to us!
- The data we process can be categorized to: data that the user has given, observed data of service use and data derived or calculated with the use of analytics.
- We use data to deliver and personalize services, to customer service, product development and to serve you more interesting advertisements.
- We believe in the benefits of data and want to give our users control and choice over processing of personal data. From section 13. you will find a list of different means that can be used to manage and control data processing.
- With your consent we can offer you location based services which are based on the location of your device e.g. local weather forecasts.
- What information does Sanoma collect?
- From which sources is my information collected?
- For which purposes is my data collected?
- How is my data stored and combined?
- For how long will my data be stored?
- Who can handle my personal data?
- Will my data be transferred to third parties?
- How is my personal data protected?
- What are cookies and are they used on Sanoma's web sites?
- Do third parties collect information about my visits to Sanoma websites?
- Which privacy policies apply to the use of Sanoma’s applications on mobile devices or tablets?
- Does Sanoma use data about the location of my device?
- How can I influence my privacy?
- Is this privacy statement subject to changes?
Sanoma is committed to protecting the privacy of its customers and users of its product and service according to the Finnish Personal Data Act (523/1999), the Finnish Information Society Code (917/2014) and other applicable laws. We adhere to following industry self-regulatory frameworks, such as the direct marketing guidelines of the Finnish Direct Marketing Association (DMA) (read more here), and the self-regulation framework for online behavioural advertising of the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) (read more here).
We collect information about users for the purpose specified in Section 3 of this privacy statement. The purpose for data collection defines what information is collected from the user in each situation.
Information provided by the user or personally identifiable data::
- contact details, such as name, address, telephone number, email address
- the registration data required for a digital account, such as username, nickname, password and any other individual identifier
- demographic data, such as age, gender, rank or profession and native language
- customer account information, such as invoicing and payment details, product and order information, customer feedback and contacts, competition responses and subscription cancellation data
- preferences and interest information provided by the user
- permissions and consents
- information provided to surveys and research
- any other information collected with the user’s consent
Observed data about online service use:
- information about the service transactions of a registered customer, such as use and browsing information of the digital product or service properties through the digital account of the user. Service usage data is linked to an identifier, which is typically a randomly generated sequence of numbers. attributed to a digital account, such as the Sanoma Account,
- information collected using cookies and other similar technologies, such as the pages browsed by the user, the sites the user accessed Sanoma’s websites, the device model, individual device and/or cookie identifier, the channel through which the service is accessed (web browser, mobile browser, application), browser version, IP address, session identifier, session time and duration, screen resolution and operating system.
- location data, such as coordinates calculated using GPS, WLAN connection points or mobile network base stations if the user has given his or her express permission for this purpose.
- recorded customer service calls
- data that is derived from observed data and/or information given by the user by using analytics and patterns such as calculating possible interests of the user or otherwise segmenting the user to a specific group of users.
Data in our marketing register:
- Our marketing registers contain information about a person’s name, title or profession, age, gender, native language, contact details, and possibly an additional attribute of the person. We can store user’s information in our marketing register for example when their subscription has ended or if the user has given us their contact details for example in connection to a competition.
Personal data is mainly collected at the point of subscription or registration, or later during the customer relationship. We may also use online technologies described below (chapter 9) to collect observed data about how people use our digital products and services.
Additional sources of information include the Robinson's register maintained by the DMA, the Finnish Population Information System, and other similar public or private registers.
We only handle personal data for predefined purposes, mainly to the following:
- Delivery of our products, services, and their personalisation: We use data to deliver newspaper and magazine subscriptions to users either through traditional post or digitally. Data is also used to enable online services and purchases in our digital stores.. In addition, data may be used to personalize some of our services, or to provide customized recommendations about content that our users may find interesting.
- Product development: Data helps us to continuously develop the user experiences and features of our products and services. We also carry out surveys and consumer studies to improve our customer insight. Data is also used to create statistical reporting to help make fact based decisions for business development purposes.
- Special offers, purchases and customer relationship management: We use data to help customers find attractive offers, to enable online purchases of our users, and to provide customer support that is as personal and seamless as possible.
- Targeted digital advertising: We use data to segment our users to display targeted digital advertisements to make them more relevant for users. Targeting segments are created based for example based on the user's areas of interest, demographic data and location.
We handle the personally identifiable information that the user has given to us (such as profile and contact details) separately from observed data about online service use and derived data, typically in separate databases. Observed or derived data about service usage is always stored using identifiers that are typically randomly generated and users cannot be personally identified from the identifiers.
If the user has created a Sanoma Account we may for the purposes mentioned in section 3. enrich the account data with the observed data collected about online use of our services. Combining data for the purposes of marketing and targeting of digital advertising requires user’s consent. For example if user brings product purchase and / or subscriptions to be managed on the account we can target advertisements based on the subscription history.
More information about our practice regarding cookies and the use of online technologies is available here.
We store user information only for as long as is necessary in order to fulfil the purposes set out in Section 3 above, in accordance with the applicable legislation.
A person’s digital account is typically valid for eighteen (18) months. If the user has not logged in to his or her digital account during that time period, the user is requested to renew his or her user rights. If the user does not renew his or her user rights, or the user's customer relationship or other reason for handling personal data are no longer valid, the user's personal data will be deleted, transferred to a permanent marketing register, or anonymized into such a format that it is no longer possible to identify the person.
The user's nickname and content provided by the user may remain visible in some services, such as discussion forums and public commenting platforms, even after the termination of the user’s actual customer relationship with Sanoma. In addition, we may be obligated to store some of the user's personal data in order to comply with accounting laws or other imperative legal provisions, even after the termination of the customer relationship.
Companies within the Sanoma Group can handle personal data according to the applicable Personal Data Act. We may also outsource the handling of personal data to a third party supplier or vendor, in which case we ensure through contractual measures that the personal data is handled appropriately and in compliance with the Personal Data Act.
We typically store our data in the EU or the EEA. If any data is transferred outside the EU or EEA, we will ensure that the country to which the data is transferred is approved as having a sufficient level of privacy protection by the European Commission, or by using standard contractual model clauses approved by the European Commission. Third party suppliers processing data on our behalf must handle personal data in compliance with this privacy statement.
We only transfer information to third parties for their independent use in cases presented in Section 7.
We will not sell, lease out or disclose personal data of an identified user to third parties for their independent purposes, except for the situations shown below.
- We can disclose user’s data to third parties if the user has given his or her express consent for such transfer.
- We may disclose to our advertisers segment data about observed users for the purpose of targeting advertisements. Advertisers shall not combine this data to an identified user’s personal data without the user’s consent.
- We may also disclose personal data to authorities or to other parties based if required to do so by law.
- Data may be transferred to third parties for scientific or historical research purpose, provided that the information has been anonymized so that the data subject can no longer be identified.
- In the case of mergers, acquisitions, or other kinds of re-arrangements of our business operations, personal data may be transferred to buyers and their advisors.
- In accordance with the service specific descriptions of personal data files information may be disclosed for direct marketing purposes, as well as opinion polls and market research studies and other similar studies in accordance with the Personal Data Act.
- If user has given consent to the electronic direct marketing of Sanoma’s partners can Sanoma disclose information about the user to these carefully selected partners for marketing purposes.
We use technical and organisational measures to protect personal data against unauthorised access, transfer, deletion or other handling that may compromise information security. Such methods include the use of firewalls, encryption technologies and safe server rooms, proper access control systems, the controlled provision of user rights and supervision of their use, , providing instructions for data processors, and the thorough selection of competent subcontractors who comply with industry standards for information security management.
Third parties refer to parties other than Sanoma, such as advertisers, advertising networks or providers of online measurement and analytics services, who may collect data from Sanoma’s sites. These third parties may place their cookies on the user's browser when the user visits our services, for example, in order to offer targeted digital advertisements to the user, or to compile statistics about the number of visitors on different sites. In this case, the user's browser will call the third party's servers for the delivery of the advertisements, and the third party can view, edit or set its cookies as if the user was on its website. Sanoma has contractual measures in place to ensure that such third parties follow the applicable legislation and relevant self-regulatory guidelines.
Our services may also contain links to non-Sanoma websites other than those listed above. However we are not responsible for the privacy policies nor for the content of such third party websites. We recommend that users read the privacy statements of each website.
More information about third-party cookies is available here.
Users may download Sanoma applications through the online stores of mobile device providers such as the Apple App Store, Nokia Store, Google Play or Microsoft Store. The privacy policies of these providers apply in addition to Sanoma’s privacy statement. Users should familiarise themselves with the terms and privacy policies provided by device platforms. Apple terms are available here, Google terms here and Microsoft terms here.
Information about the location of the user's device can be used to offer location-based services, such as local weather reports, and to present targeted digital advertisements, provided that the user has given his or her express consent to the utilisation of location information, or expect if the location information is processed anonymously, without attribution to any identifiers.
Location information is determined using available positioning technologies, such as GPS and WLAN connection points and mobile network base stations. The user may revoke his or her consent for location data use at any time.
We are committed to providing our users choices and control over data processing. In this section we list different ways of influencing data collection and processing.
Direct marketing consents
Users have the right to prevent their information from being used for direct sales or marketing purposes, and for electronic direct marketing purposes. Users can opt-out by contacting our customer service, or in the event of e-mail marketing, directly from the e-mail.
Right to verify your information
Users have the right of check what kind of personal data has been collected. Upon the user's request, we will modify, remove or supplement any incorrect, unnecessary, incomplete or outdated personal data. Users may update and/or check their personal data by contacting our customer service.
Creating a new cookie profile by clearing cookies
Users can clear their cookie history from their browser settings. By regularly deleting cookies from the browser, users can change the identifier on the basis of which a specific online user profile is generated. Clearing cookies will not complete prevent information from being collected; however it does resets the user’s online profile based on new cookies.
Preventing third party online behavioral advertising
Through the below described choices the user can prevent targeting of advertising based on their online behavior. After opting out, the user will see as many advertisements as before but they will not be selected according to the user's areas of interest.
- The user may deny the use of Sanoma Account data to targeting of marketing and digital advertisements. Targeting preferences can be managed in the settings of Sanoma Account.
- Users can opt-out from data collected from the use of the application for the purposes of delivering targeted advertisements from the application settings. This will prevent the device's individual identifier from being sent and any information about the use of the application from being used for targeted advertisements.
- Also third parties such as advertisers and advertising networks can target advertisements based on user’s interest profile. If the user does not want third parties to target advertisements according to the user's interest profile, the user can opt-out from such online behavioural targeting using the links below.
- Adtech targeting can be prevented here.
- Improve Digital targeting can be prevented here.
- Google targeting can be prevented here.
- Other third-party targeting can be prevented here
Consent for the use of location information
Users are asked to provide their consent for the use of location data on applications and services. Location consent can be revoked using the device or application settings.
The primary point of contact is the service-specific customer care service desk.. Contact details to the customer care service are available on the website of each corresponding service. Links to our online products and services are available here.
Users may also send any questions related to this privacy statement and any concerns regarding the use of online technologies for targeting of advertisements to:
Sanoma Media Finland Oy
Data Protection & Privacy
privacy (at) sanoma.com
PL 30, 00089 Sanoma